Curtains don’t just have a functional purpose, they are also a design feature in any room, complimenting a throw pillow or your own interior design. Ready-made curtains can be restrictive in their range of styles, colors and patterns… but you don’t want ready-made ones anyway because you’ve got a sewing machine and you’re not afraid to use it! You just need a simple to follow video that shows you how to sew curtains. Voila!
You have scissors, pins and a straight edge so you are all set to go… oh, and material! But you need to know how much material you want… so you need to learn how to measure a window… we know, an endless list of things to do before getting your project started!
This step-by-step guide explains how to measure your window and calculate the amount of material required. You can then watch the video and learn how to sew curtains… finally!
- Measure your curtain pole from wall bracket to wall bracket in inches
- Multiply this number by 1.5
- Divide the result of step two by 2
- Add 2 inches to the result from step three for a seam allowance. You now know the width of each curtain.
- Measure down from the top of the curtain pole to where you want the curtain to end.
- Add 9 inches to the measurement from step five. You now have the height of your curtains.
You need to buy enough material to make two curtains of width (step 4) and height (step 6). Take your measurements with you to the store and explain what you are making. They will advise you on the best fabric for the job. After all, if you have spent the time learning how to sew curtains, then you want them to look their best.
Now you can bring your interior design style to every room of the house. But be warned… you might not want to open them again as you prefer to look at your great piece of sewing rather than the view outside!
How to sew Curtains Video Tutorial: